In today’s post I’ll give you a quick an honest review of Platform University and how it has helped me keep learning and growing. The founder of Platform University is Michael Hyatt, former CEO of Thomas Nelson Publishers. I found Michael’s blog a while back while researching something and ended up buying his book, Platform in 2012.
As a marketing consultant, I’m no stranger to online membership areas, communities, and author’s promoting their products, so I expected there to be some sort of extra add-on to the book. I figured I’d just read the book and get a little bit out of it. While to book is pretty good (read my review here), I have to say, I was hoping to have more questions answered about the process of writing a book, getting published, and going to the next level. While the book is a great foundation, I wanted some personal interaction and help, and that is why I decided to check out Platform University. I found that Platform University provided that extra little boost of learning how to grow your personal brand and “get noticed in a noisy world.”
In today’s review, I’ll share with you the GOOD, the BAD, and why I’ll probably stay connected to Platform University for a while as I’m working on some of my business goals. Just for clarity sake, Platform University doesn’t have an affiliate program, so I’m not receiving any compensation for writing this. Really, this is a “thank you” to Michael and his team for the help they’ve given me as I’ve been fine tuning the “art” of building a platform.
Who Is Platform University for?
It really is for anyone who wants to “get noticed in a noisy world.” Platform University is all about gaining influence. I bought the book and membership because we’re working on releasing our first published book. This is NO small or easy task! Based upon some initial research, I read that I needed a platform in order to be considered for publishing. That started my journey to finding Michael. Through Michael’s help, I’ll be the first to admit that I’ve learned a TON over the last year. Yes, my craft is marketing, but most of what I’ve done is for other businesses and seldom used on my own brands. This is why Platform University was really key for helping me learn how to promote yourself and gain influence to what we’re doing.
If you’re looking to get a book published, start a speaking business, or you’re an information marketer looking to grow sales, then I highly suggest it.
What’s Good About Platform University?
My favorite thing is that it is digestible for people with busy lives. Most of us don’t have the chance to spend hours a day learning. We eat information a bite at a time. Sometimes just a few minutes is all we have each day. There are some live events, but quite honestly, I’ve never been a part of them. The events are always archived and available online shortly thereafter. The membership area is broken down into sections, which make it easy to navigate and consume.
Here’s a look at the categories in the membership site:
1. Master Class – Monthly training from Michael which includes interviews. This is a high quality production which really makes you learn and think. For example in this month’s master class, Michael is talking to legend Dave Ramsey about book publishing. If you’re thinking about publishing a book, who wouldn’t want to hear what Dave says?
2. Backstage Pass – This is the behind the scenes look at what it takes to pull things off. This month is about what it takes to pull off a live event. Take it from me, someone who runs 4 live events a year, this information is critically valuable and it is a lot more work than people realize.
3. Member Make Overs – Michael takes someone’s platform and pulls it apart. This is your chance to let Michael Hyatt pull apart your platform and tell you what he thinks. While I haven’t the guts to ask Michael to review my site yet, I’ve seen some of the other makeovers and they are filled with great information.
4. Q&A Session – This is a live call where Michael takes questions. Again, I haven’t been on a call yet, but think about the value of having someone like him answer your questions live?
5. The Forum – This is my favorite part of the community. I love forums and honestly I love Platform University’s forum. It is a great place to learn and connect with guys with the same hopes. Most of these guys are speakers, hopeful authors, and people trying to leave their mark on the world. Very cool to be around guys like this.
The Bad about Platform University
My cursor has been blinking for 3 minutes as I try to think of something to write here. Honestly, there isn’t much. The only thing that I can think that Platform University’s membership area may be missing, is some sort of Platform Set-Up Checklist. In other words a step-by-step checklist to getting from A-Z.
An A-Z checklist would be great and something I wish I had. While no one has complained about a lack of a checklist, it is the only thing I can think about that might make Platform University perfect. However, if you go through the book, you could easily create your own checklist if you took the time.
Honestly, a membership with Platform University isn’t going to get you traffic or magically help you set up a WordPress site. However, it does keep you motivated and learning, and that is enough to merit the membership fees.
Cost for Platform University
The cost for Platform University is currently $25.00 (June of 2013) but I expect that the cost will steadily rise through the years. If you watch the 5 minute video below, you can see that the cost is surprisingly low… and honestly if I were the guru behind Platform University, the cost would have started at $99.00 per month.
What I Expect to Gain
Honestly, I expect nothing less than a published book and substantial growth for our vision and business. It might sound a little cocky or confident, but you have to realize that the processes has been laid out. Yes, building a platform does take time, sweat, and commitment, but again, it is simply following Michael’s road map. We just have to follow it.
Another big bonus is that the people connected to Platform University are helping each other. Yes, I still have much to do such as finding an agent, writing a book proposal, and finishing my platform. However, Platform University gives me confidence that others will be there to help me and keep me from making mistakes in the near future.
Just an Update, as of September 2014 the cost is now $30.00 per month. Still a heck of a deal. Platform University also allowed me to meet Michael Hyatt in person a few months ago. As you’ll see from my growing Twitter account and website traffic, Michael knows what he’s talking about. I still keep my review after all of this time at 5 stars. Post any questions you have in the comment section below and I’ll try to answer them.